Thursday, April 17, 2008

Gratitude

So it's been a very long time since the last post and I know lots of people are wondering how I'm doing. I didn't want to write about all of the medical issues that I've gone through, but I now feel it is time to do so. I will try to make this as brief as possible.
I haven't posted anything since December because Marc returned home from his 6 month deployment on Dec 23rd and we've just been too busy. Marc's parents came to visit for 2 weeks at Christmas and then I surpised Marc with a trip for the 2 of us to go to New York City the day after Christmas. Grandma and Grandpa Galman stayed here with the boys. We had an AMAZING 4 days in NYC! Our first trip without the kids!
Then on January 23, I went up to Richmond for the BIG surgery. I had a 7 hour surgery to remove a cyst from my bile duct/liver which included some extensive reconstruction of my bile duct and intestines. I spent a LONG week in the transplant hospital in Richmond, VA(which is a 2 hour drive from our house). My brother came and stayed with us for a few weeks to help out with the kids so that my mother and Marc could take care of me in the hospital in Richmond. They took turns keeping me company thru my recovery. Then I returned home and had 5 more weeks of recovery at home. Only 2 weeks after the surgery I was hit hard with a 24 hour stomach bug!! Yes I was vomiting and diarhea and in terrible pain ON top of the major pain I was already in. It took me a few days but I recovered from the bug. Then my sister came to stay with us for a week and take care of us. After my sister's stay, my mother returned for another week. During my 6 week recovery, I couldn't do any driving or lifting or much walking, etc. Needless to say, It's very hard to take care of a 2yr old and 4 yr old after major abdominal surgery. I needed my family and they were there for me. My friends and loved ones sent many many cards and emails, flowers, gifts, meals, and phone calls. I was prayed for by everyone. And I recovered Wonderfully! We went home to Charleston for easter and I was doing fantastic! My doctor in Richmond couldn't believe how great I was doing. I am in the best shape of my life. I got myself in the best shape ever before surgery, so I was determined not to let the surgery hold me back. I have been exercising regularly and I really am very healthy and strong. On March 30, I was 9 weeks post surgery and climbing the rock wall at the YMCA! And then on March 31st, I was hit hard with the worst abdominal pain imaginable. I called Marc at work at 8am and told him to come home immediately, I needed to go the ER. My neighbors and beloved friend Erica came to take the boys. At the ER, they did CT scans and determined I had bowel obstruction and they took me in for immediate explorative surgery. After 2 hours in surgery they found that the scar tissue from my BIG surgery had tied a loop in my intestines and that was causing the obstruction. They said if they had not operated on me immediately, I would have lost a few feet of intestine...that would not have been good. So I spent another LONG week recovering in the hospital. Now I have been at home for a week and I have about 3 more weeks and I should be fine. My mother drove up immediately from Charleston(7 hour drive) to take care of the boys. Then my sister came and stayed for a week. Marc's parents flew all the way from Oregon and arrived on Tuesday to stay for 2 weeks and take care of us. And throughout all of this, Marc has been amazing. He goes to work everyday and then comes home and takes care of me. He never let me be alone in the hospital. He never let me get sad. And he made me laugh so much! Which hurts really bad when you just had abdominal surgery...but also made me feel sooooo much better. He has been my rock. I can't imagine how scared he must have been, but he never let me get scared. All of these people are the reason for my gratitude. All of you who are reading this, all of you who prayed for me. I am so thankful to you. Your prayers were heard, and they were certainly felt by me.

I AM SO GRATEFUL TO HAVE THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS THAT I DO. I don't even know how to say thank you for all of this. This is the reason I felt I needed to write this.
I have had my moments of depression, anger and self pity, but they have been very, very few. I have been so loved and so supported and taken care of that I really haven't had time to get depressed. Every email, card, and phone call made me smile. And really, as bad as all of this has been...it could have been worse. It could have been a LOT worse. I am doing wonderfully, and I am a better person because of what I have been through. I have learned that we should always help someone when we have the opportunity. And I have learned to be grateful! Grateful for your loved ones and for your life.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, so obviously, none of this was new news to me...but it certainly touched my heart. You know I love you and would come running anytime, but I want to say it again. It is a privelege to help a friend...and you are a friend, indeeed. Can't wait to have you back in Zumba with me. I am so grateful to have you in my life! Hugs and more Hugs!
Erica

The UnStrungSisters - Amy and Erin said...

Ansley- I'm glad you are doing better. It seems we can never repay those who help us, we just help others and it keeps on going round and round! Take care of yourself- Amy O'H.

Unknown said...

Ansley,
I am so happy you are doing better. Your family has been in our prayers. I saw I missed your call the other day, we had been out of town for Spring Break. I look forward to catching up with you. Take care. Angie

Unknown said...

You are loved beyond words and we are all just so thankfull that you are on the road to recover! What you have been through it life changing and I thank God that you have such strenght and character - because somone without that might not have been able to handle this all so well! Please get to your 100% soon and get back to the darn Y with us. WE miss you and can't wait to have our life with you back on track!! Love you!